The City of Melbourne will hold a public meeting regarding plans for the Southwest Trails project on Wednesday, May 26, at 5:30 p.m. The purpose of this project is to construct approximately 3.7 miles of 10-foot-wide multi-use trail with pedestrian bridge structures along the City’s existing canal right of way.
About the Southwest Trails Project
The trails consist of three segments that will include traffic safety elements such as mid-block crosswalk improvements, utility relocation, street lighting, and drainage modifications.
- Trail #1: Travels north-south north to south, beginning on the southeast corner of two adjoining canals, approximately a quarter mile southeast of the Florida Avenue and Dairy Road intersection to Stack Boulevard, a quarter mile north of Palm Bay Road Northeast.
- Trail #2: Travels west to east, beginning about a quarter mile south of Florida Avenue on Dairy Road to the South Babcock Street Trail. A spur within Southwest Park connects this trail to the Florida Avenue Trail.
- Trail #3: Travels north-south along the canal, beginning at Burr Street in the Booker Heights neighborhood, along Leonard Weaver Boulevard to the Florida Avenue Trail between Melbourne Central Catholic High School and the Islamic Society of Brevard County.
Meeting Participation Options
The City is offering multiple ways for the community to participate in the meeting. All participants, regardless of platform they choose, will participate in the same live meeting. Advanced registration at http://bit.ly/sw-trail is requested.
- Virtual Option: Interested persons may join the Virtual Public Meeting (VPM) from a computer, tablet, or mobile device. A VPM is a free live presentation or webinar over the internet. For this option, advance registration is required by visiting the project website link above. Once registered, participants will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting online.
- Phone Option (Listen Only): Participants may join the meeting by calling 1(301) 715-8592 and entering the Meeting ID 937 4767 1850 when prompted.
- In-Person Option: Participants may attend in person by going to Melbourne City Hall, 900 E Strawbridge Ave, Melbourne, FL 32901. The City requests registration in advance at the project website link above, or by contacting the public involvement consultant, Eric Trull, at (407) 569-8993 or email@example.com
All meeting materials, including the presentation, will be available on the project website at https://www.melbourneflorida.org/departments/engineering/sw-trails after the meeting. A recording of the meeting will be available on the website within a week following the meeting.
Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, or family status. Persons wishing to express their concerns relative to compliance with Title VI may do so by contacting the City’s Title VI/ADA Coordinator, Tami Gillen, P.E., Assistant City Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persons who require accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or persons who require translation services (free of charge) should contact Eric Trull, Public Involvement Consultant at (407) 569-8993 or email@example.com at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting. If you are meeting or speech impaired, please contact us by using the Florida Relay Service, 1-800-955-8771 (TDD) or 1-800-955-8770 (Voice).