Melbourne Regional Chamber Logo

Looking for a way to get more involved in your city? Consider serving on a City of Melbourne advisory board! Volunteer board members provide vital input to the Melbourne City Council on important local issues and have the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to their community.

There are currently openings on a several city boards that provide input on issues ranging from community development and neighborhood improvement to historic preservation and pension administration. For more information and to apply, contact the City Clerk’s office at or 321-608-7220.

  • The Babcock Street Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Committee acts in an advisory capacity to the City Council for the Babcock Street Redevelopment Area. Members are Melbourne residents or are engaged in business within the redevelopment area.
  • The Citizens’ Advisory Board serves as the formal means through which active citizen participation is provided to aid in the planning, oversight and evaluation of federal- and state-funded housing and community development programs that benefit low- and moderate-income residents and neighborhoods. Must be a resident of Melbourne.
  • The Code Enforcement Board promotes, protects and improves the health, safety and welfare of Melbourne’s citizens and enhances property values by enforcing City of Melbourne codes, applying appropriate remedies, and promoting compliance. Melbourne residency is required. The board meets every six weeks.
  • The General Employees’ Pension Plan Board of Trustees provides general administration and responsibility for the operation of the pension trust fund for the City’s general employees.
  • The Historic and Architectural Review Board recommends  local  historic  designations  and  regulates  and  administers  historical,  cultural,  archaeological  and  architectural resources in the City of Melbourne. It also considers material changes in the exterior appearance of existing buildings located on non-residential property in the city’s three redevelopment districts. Members must represent one of the following disciplines:  architecture, history, architectural history, planning, prehistoric and historic archaeology, landscape architecture, real estate, or general/building contracting. City residents, property owners in the city and individuals engaged in business within the city may also apply.
  • The Planning and Zoning Board advises the City Council on questions relating to zoning, comprehensive planning, and land use; conducts investigations on matters or proposals to change zoning and land development regulations; and in some cases makes the final decision on site plan approval requests under one acre. Must be resident of Melbourne.
  • The Police Officers’ Retirement Trust Fund Board of Trustees is responsible for the general administration and responsibility for the operation of the retirement trust fund for the City’s police officers.
  • The Zoning Board of Adjustment considers appeals in the enforcement of the Zoning Code and authorizes in specific cases a variance from the terms of the Zoning Code. Must be resident of Melbourne.